Woolwich, Woolwich / Greenwich, Greenwich

Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z

Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.

WOOLWICH is an extensive town, situated on the southern banks of the Thames, eight miles from London Bridge by land, and nine miles by water. The population in 1851 was 32,177. The Royal Arsenal is at the east end of the town; it is a very extensive establishment, and contains a foundry for casting brass guns; also large furnaces for casting fire arms. The Napier machinery for boring and turning guns at the same time is considered very fine, and is of great advantage, from the large quantity of work it turns off in a limited time. The Royal Artillery Barracks are well situated, and have a frontage of a quarter of a mile in length; they contain excellent quarters, both for officers and men. The Royal Dockyard is a very extensive establishment, and of late years has been greatly enlarged. There are large foundries upon a very extensive scale, and engines of the most powerful kind are manufactured and fitted to the largest steam ships in service. The Dockyard is under the charge of a Commodore-Superintendent. There are two railway stations of the North Kent line at Woolwich, at the Arsenal and Dockyard.

Public Houses in Woolwich

Gentry in 1858

Traders in 1858 Melvilles Directory by surname

A - B ; C to F ; G to J ; K to P ; R to T ; U to Y

William Stone Robinson, Postmaster, 108, High street. Letters arrive at 7 and 10
a.m., and 2 and 6 p.m.; despatched at 9 and before 1 a.m., past 4 and 8 p.m.;
and some parts of Kent, 20 minutes to 7 p.m. Money Orders are granted and
paid at this Office.. Receiving Houses, - John Alfred Rastriok, 20 Church street;
Edward Jones, Thomas street; and Henry Stevens, North row, North Woolwich.

London and County Banking Company,- James Grugeon, Esq., Manager, Powis street. Draw on 21, Lombard street.'

Savings' Bank, Edward street..- Rev. H. Brown, M.A., and Captain Rideout, R.N.,
Joint Treasurers ; Richard Pidcock, esq., Honorary Secretary ; Edward Sargeant, Actuary; Henry Rudd, Assistant Actuary.

St. Mary's Parish Church, High street and Church street, Rev. Henry Brown, M.A., Rector.
St. John's Church, Wellington street.- Rev. J. W. Downes, M.A.
St. Thomas's Church, Mary road. - Rev. A. De la Mare, M.A.
Scotch National Church, New road. - Rev. William M. Thompson, officiating Minister.
Baptist Chapel, Queen street. - Rev. J. Cox.
Union Calvinist Chapel, Sun Alley.
Wesleyan Association Chapel, Beresford street.
Chapel to the Royal Arsenal, Beresford square.
Salem Chapel, Powis street.- Rev. James Carlile, D.D., Minister.
Zion Chapel, Upper Market.
Bethlehem Baptist Chapel, Charles street.
Welsh Chapel, Parson's Hill.
Trinity Church, Beresford street - Rev. Thomas Reynolds, Minister.
Methodist Chapel, William street.
Ebenezer Chapel, Independent, William street.
Providence Chapel, New road.
Enon Chapel, High street.
St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, New road. - Rev. C. Coles.

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 07-Feb-2024 00:10:12 GMT