Search over 60 thousand pages of pub history and London history by surname, street name or pub.

Old Slaughters Coffee House and Reids Hotel, 74 & 75 St Martins lane, St Martins in Fields WC2

St Martins pub history index

The original Slaughter Coffee House was established in 1692 by Thomas Slaughter, being renamed "old" in about 1760 when a second "New" coffee house was also opened.

Slaughters Coffee House

Slaughters Coffee House and more information about Thomas Slaughter

A listing of historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in St Martins in Fields, London.

Residents at this address.

1809/Old Slaughters Coffee house & hotel, St Martins lane, John Reid/../../Holdens Directory

1811/John Reid, Old Slaughters Coffee house & hotel, St Martins lane/../../Holdens Directory
1811/Mary Read, Old Slaughters Coffee house, St Martins lane/../../Holdens Directory

1822/W G Reid and Co, Old Slaughters Coffee House, St Martins lane/../../Yorkshire Directory

1829/Reid & Co, Old Slaughters Coffee House, 75 St Martins lane/../../Robsons Directory

1832/Reid & Co, Old Slaughters Coffee House, 74 & 75 St Martins lane, Charing cross/../../Robsons Directory

1836/William G Reid & Co, Old Slaughters Coffee House and Reids Hotel, 74 & 75 St Martins lane, Charing cross/../../Pigots Directory

1841/George B Tissing/Hotel Keeper/55/../Census
1841/Maria Tissing/../50/Middlesex/Census
1841/George B Tissing/Merchants Clerk/20/Middlesex/Census
1841/William Reid Tissing/Merchants Clerk/20/Middlesex/Census
1841/Eleanor Wilson/Female Servant//../Census
1841/John Thomas/Waiter/20/Middlesex/Census
1841/William Coates Calverts/Waiter/20/../Census
1841/Ann Ashutroy/Female Servant/35/Middlesex/Census
1841/Mary Ann East/Female Servant/20/../Census
1841/Ann Reid/Female Servant/20/Middlesex/Census
+ Guests

There is a pencil drawing of " Old Slaughter's " as it was just before being pulled down in May 1843, by Edward Spencer, junr., dated May 31, 1742.
This is in the Creed Collection of Tavern Signs in the British Museum Library.
There is also an engraving of the coffee-house in Thombury's Haunted London 1880, p. 260, and a drawing of the same house by T. II. Shepherd on the walls of St. Martin's Library.



  • UK Towns and Cities
  • London history
  • Accessible Travel etc
  • London Pub history
  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 25-Jan-2024 10:28:56 GMT