You can search the historical London and Pub wiki sites by surname, street name, district etc.

Bricklayers Arms, 12 Union Street, Poplar E14

Poplar pub history index

Existed from at least 1862. The most common address of this pub as listed in all the directories (and the 1871 census) is on Union Street. It was only listed as Ashton Street (the street it shares a corner with) in the 1881 census. *** Closed in 1912 as a pub through the compensation award scheme.

Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.

Residents at this address.

May 1862/William Murphy/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

May 1862/William Hay/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

August 1864/Pillett Smith/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

August 1864/Thomas Ashwell/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

May 1865/Thomas Ashwell/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

May 1865/Charles Mark Cooke/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

4th July 1868/Alfred Cooke/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

4th July 1868/Louisa Wilson/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

1871/Louisa Wilson/Widow, Licensed Victualler/53/Stepney, Middlesex/Census ***
1871/John R. Wilson/Son, Assistant to Licensed Victualler/25/St Georges in the East, Middlesex/Census
1871/Amelia Wilson/Daughter, Assistant to Licensed Victualler/21/Strand, Middlesex/Census
1871/Caroline Wilson/Daughter, Assistant to Licensed Victualler/18/Strand, Middlesex/Census
1871/George Wilson/Son, Clerk/14/Strand, Middlesex/Census

July 1877/Louisa Wilson/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer

July 1877/John Robert Wilson/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer

1881/Frederick Wilkins/Licensed Victualler/40/Poplar, Middlesex/Census
1881/Sarah Wilkins/Wife/36/Poplar, Middlesex/Census
1881/Jane Smith/Barmaid/23/Bromley, Middlesex/Census

1882/John Robert Wilson/Beer Retailer/../../Post Office Directory ***

1884/John R. Willson/../../../Post Office Directory ***

1895/Mrs. Mary Rowe/../../../Post Office Directory ***

1899/Mrs. Harriet Farnie/../../../Post Office Directory ***

1910/Edward Brady/../../../Post Office Directory ***

London Evening Standard 14 June 1911
Licensing Act 1904 Notice of principal meeting to discuss by the Compensation authority on 3rd July 1911
Bricklayers Arms, Union street, Poplar, Full, Edward Brady

In 1912 the LCC produced plans to rebuild the Woolmore Street school, to provide places for 392 boys and 392 girls, and to erect a new infants' school, with 432 places, in Union Street. This scheme involved the purchase of the Bricklayers' Arms from Whitbread & Company and its adaptation as the schoolkeeper's house, and the acquisition of Nos 11–13 Ashton Street and Nos 11 and 13 Woolmore Street. (ref. 391) The designs were prepared by the LCC's Architect's Department. *

Shoreditch Observer May 1912 :
Compensation awards under the 1910 Licensing Act awarded the following total awards to be divided amongst the persons interested in the houses, which have been referred for extinction on payment:

Bricklayers Arms, Union street, Poplar £994

+ Provided by Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park

* Provided By John Brown

*** Provided By Ewan

  • UK Towns and Cities
  • London history
  • Accessible Travel etc
  • London Pub history
  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 18-Apr-2024 22:47:25 BST