Search over 60 thousand pages of pub history and London history by surname, street name or pub.

History of Rainham in 1855

 History of Rainham

Rainham, or Raynham, is a village, parish, and railway station on the London and Southend railway, on the Ingerbury brook, in Chafford Hundred, Romford Union, South Essex, 3 miles north west of Purfleet steam boat station, 13 from London, 7 from Grays, 10 from Tilbury, and 5 east of Barking. The area is 3,197 acres, and the population, in 1851, was 868. The village forms a considerable street on the London Road, and has a bridge over the river Ingerbury, and a quay on the creek, at its mouth, in the Thames. There is a church, a Wesleyan chapel, and a National school. The living is a vicarage, worth 412 yearly, in the diocese of Rochester, patronage of J C G Crosse Esq, and incumbency of the Rev Henry George Roche, BCL, chaplain to the Earl of Limerick

 

Cross major

Davies Rev Stephen, DCL

 

Traders

Blewitt William, farmer

Brooks Ainger, wheelwright

Circuitt Thomas, farmer

Cooper Elizabeth (Mrs), baker

Daldy Edward Mee, coal merchant

Ennever Robert, grocer & post master

Eve & Walton, cattle salesmen

Gentry mark, baker

Grout Nathan, shoe maker

Hill John, grocer

Howell Thomas, Phoenix

King William, blacksmith

Marden William, farmer

Mayhew Samuel, butcher

Mitchell John, farmer

Mitchell Samuel, farmer

Parker Charles, hair dresser

Parsons John, grocer

Peek Thomas, Bell

Pryor William, plumber

Stones Richard, Angel

Surridge John, farmer

Surridge North, farmer

Tyrrell David, grocer

 

Post Office Robert Ennever, receiver. Letters arrive 7 am & past 1 pm; dispatched at 2 & 6 pm to post office, Romford. The nearest money order office is at Barking

National school, William Henry Harvey, master; Mrs Harvey, mistress

Parish church, Stephen Davies DCL

Railway trains to London, Tilbury & Southend

  • UK Towns and Cities
  • London history
  • Accessible Travel etc
  • London Pub history
  • And Last updated on: Monday, 29-Jan-2024 12:24:34 GMT