Roman London - the London wall
These pages are based on a "Royal Commission On Historical Monuments 1834" - actually it is 1928; which is in the public domain.
(30) . West of Aldersgate. A section of wall at this point and running under the
roadway was found in excavating for the French Protestant Church in 1841. Mr. W.
D. Saull describes it as consisting of a foundation of flint and clay 1 1/2 feet
thick and 11 1/2 feet below the surface of the ground, above this 4 1/2 feet of
rubble, a double bonding-course, 2 1/2 feet of rubble, a second double
bonding-course and more rubble above. It is not stated which face of the wall is
described and illustrated, but as offsets at the bonding-courses are implied the
internal face is no doubt intended.