Roman London - the London wall
These pages are based on a "Royal Commission On Historical Monuments 1834" - actually it is 1928; which is in the public domain.
(22). London Wall, opposite Carpenters' Hall. In 1905 a shaft was sunk on the outside face of the wall at this point. The base of the plinth lay at a depth of 13 1/2 feet below the street, and rested upon an unusually substantial foundation of rag-stone 5 1/2 feet deep and projecting 2 feet from the face of the wall. Above the plinth were four courses of squared rag-stone, a triple bonding-course of brick, five courses of squared rag-stone, a second triple bonding-course and three courses of squared rag-stone. In the lower portion of the shaft the relics were exclusively Roman, and lying in the sand over-lying the undisturbed ballast were two skulls, one of which was partly imbedded in the mortar of the Roman foundations.
London Wall, opposite Carpenters Hall - in 1905