Roman London - the London wall
These pages are based on a "Royal Commission On Historical Monuments 1834" - actually it is 1928; which is in the public domain.
(16) . Camomile Street, East. In 1905 a stretch of the wall was uncovered at the
back of Nos. 58 and 60 Houndsditch and also adjoining the churchyard belonging
to the parish of St. Martin Outwich.
The bottom of the plinth lay at a depth of 8 feet 4 inches below the street-level, and the total height of the fragment (which projected above ground) was 14 1/2 feet above the base of the plinth. The external face consisted of four courses of squared rag-stone above the plinth followed by a triple bonding-course of brick, and two more courses of squared rag-stone.
Above this point only the core of the wall remained, but it included three double bonding-courses. This would appear to be the highest fragment of the wall so far recorded. In 1926 a further portion of this same section of the wall was revealed and destroyed.