Search over 60 thousand pages of pub history and London history by surname, street name or pub.

Sir John Falstaff, 261 Tabard Street, Southwark St George Martyr, London

Southwark St George Martyr index

At 140 Kent Street in 1869 and earlier, renamed to Tabard Street in 1877. Closed by the Compensation Authority in 1908. In 1910 most of the east side of Tabard Street is cleared viz an LCC housing scheme.

A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Southwark St George Martyr, Surrey, London.

Residents at this address.

1822/Thomas Jeanes/Sir John Falstaff, Kent street/../../Victuallers Recognizance

1825/Thomas Jeanes/../../../Victuallers Recognizance

1826/Thomas Jeanes/../../../Victuallers Recognizance

1832/James Bennett/../../../Robsons Directory

1839/Henry Bell/../../../Pigot's Directory *

1841/John Harris/../../../Post Office Directory *

July 1849/Thomas Haynes/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

July 1849/Thomas Turk/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

November 1851/Daniel Scully/ Outgoing Licensee /../../The Era

November 1851/William Paget/ Incoming Licensee /../../The Era

1856/William Paget/../../../Post Office Directory *

January 1860/John Baird/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

January 1860/Alfred Giles Osmond/Incoming Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

1869/George Hyde/../../../Post Office Directory

July 1872/George Hyde/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

July 1872/John Stevens/Incoming Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

1881/James Knowles/Licensed Victualler/28/Gloucester/Census
1881/Elizabeth Knowles/Sister, Housekeeper/33/Bromsgrove, Worcester/Census
1881/Richard Todd/Potman/25/Somerstown/Census

1882/James Knowles/../../../Post Office Directory

1884/Alfred Souter/../../../Post Office Directory

South London Press 27 September 1884 - Newington Transfer of Licenses
Sir John Falstaff, Tabard street, J W Thompson to Margery Maddox, widow

1891/Jas Osmond/../../../Post Office Directory

1895/James Osmond/../../../Post Office Directory

1899/Walter Large/../../../Post Office Directory

1903/Charles Wade, Sir Charles Falstaff, 261 Tabard street/../../../Post Office Directory

In a baptism record, a James Sidney Wade is listed as christened on 22nd April 1906, with father Charles Wade, Licensed Victualler and Minnie Wade, at 161 Tabard street.
1908/Charles Wade, Duchess of York, 2 Barlow Street, Walworth SE and Sir Charles Falstaff, 261 Tabard street, Borough SE/../../../Post Office Directory

London Evening Standard 12 June 1907 - List of premises to be considered by the Compensation Authority :
Sir John Falstaff, 251 Tabard street, St George, Beer, Charles Wade

Morning Post 28 January 1908
Extinguished London Licences.
The Compensation authority for London awarded £108,653 for the extinction of 38 public house licences in the Blackheath, Finsbury, Hanover square, Holborn and Newington divisions. The wards were as follows :
Sir John Falstaff, Tabard street, Borough £4487


* Provided By Ewan

  • UK Towns and Cities
  • London history
  • Accessible Travel etc
  • London Pub history
  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 18-Apr-2024 23:01:27 BST