Search over 60 thousand pages of pub history and London history by surname, street name or pub.

Fox, 5 Long lane, Southwark St George Martyr, Surrey

Southwark St George Martyr index

Friars school, in Bangor owned land in Southwark between 1557 and 1895, and the early records are held by the Carnarfon record office. **

The address changes from 1 White street to 5 Long Lane by 1882, following street renaming; as White street is the original name for part of Long Lane.

A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Southwark St George Martyr, Surrey, London.

Residents at this address.

White Hind :

The White Hind was at the corner of the western alley, then known as White Hind Alley, and was leased to Walter Bexley up to 1571, together with tenements in the alley. In the course of a court case in 1577/8, Maryon Huntingdon, looking back to the 1540s, said these tenements had been let at a penny a week. Victuallers were often landlords for more than just the victualling house itself, and it was common for the alley behind also to be rented out by them. The name of White Hind Alley continued through seventeenth-century leases, although there is no more mention of the house itself. **

White Hind Alley was renamed Bangor Court, although often appears as New Alley in official records. A new victualling house, the Fox, opened at the
former White Hind site.

Fox :

1744 - 1753/Richard Fendall/../../../ **

Richard Fendall was a son of a father of the same name, who farmed at the Grange in Bermondsey, the family commemorated in a street name today. The son was established at the Fox by the 1740s; in 1751, he gave a testimonial in advertisements for �Viper Drops� :
�having been much afflicted with Colics and Disorders in his bowels, Gripings, Swimmings and Giddings in the head�. The drops may not have been all that effective, for he died in 1753, leaving everything to his widow, Sarah. **

1753 - 1765/Sarah Fendall/widow of Richard Fendall/../../ **

Living there at the time of her death in 1765 was James Bues, Sarah Fendell�s sister�s son, and the Fox transferred to him. Bues was running the Fox in July 1768
when a fire at the tallow chandlers� shop across the alley took down all that side, and damaged the Fox a little. In the aftermath, the school re-let the area, and Bues took on a lease comprising the Fox and the whole of the eastern side of the alley. **

1766 - 1778/James Bues/../../../ **

After Bues�s death, the Fox again passed down the female line, the lease and the licence together inherited by his daughter Hannah. Her husband William Allen was a line and twine spinner who then established his workshop just behind the Fox: this seems to have been his business, while Hannah did the victualling. Also behind the Fox was a Skittle Yard, providing some recreation for its customers. **

Regarding the Fox, 5 Long lane, Southwark St George Martyr, Surrey – in 1780 the landlord was Joseph Summers, a former timber merchant.
Citation: Gurney, Joseph. The Proceedings on the King's Special Commission of Oyer and Terminer for the County of Surry: Held at St. Margaret's-Hill, on Monday the 10th of July 1780 and the Following Days .... United Kingdom: Joseph Gurney, and sold, 1780, p. 94. ***

1778 - 1787/Elizabeth Bues/../../../ **

1787 - 1802/William & Hannah Allen/../../../ **

1792/William Allen/victualler, line and twine spinner/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1797/William Allen/victualler/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1802 - 1804/Hannah Allen/../../../ **

1802/Hannah Allen/victualler and line and twine spinner/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1803/Hannah Allen/victualler and line and twine spinner/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1804/George Dean/../../../ **

1805/James & Ann Brown/../../../ **

1805/William Beadle/../../../ **

1806 - 1820/Daniel Ridgwell/../../../ **

1811/D Redgwell, Fox, White street, Borough/../../Holdens Directory

1820 - 1841/Crown Dansie/../../../ **

1822/Crown Dansie/Fox, White street/../../Victuallers Recognizance

1825/Crown Dansie/../../../Victuallers Recognizance

1826/Crown Dansie/../../../Victuallers Recognizance

1833-34/Crown Dansie, Fox, 1 White street, Borough/../../Pigots Directory

1839/Crown Dansie/../../../Pigot's Directory *

1841/Crown Dansie/../../../Post Office Directory *

1841 - 1851/John Thomas Percy/../../../ **

1842/John Thomas Percy/../../../Robson's Directory *

1843/John Thomas Percy/../../../Post Office Directory

1848/John Thomas Percy/../../../Post Office Directory *

1851/John Thomas Percy/../../../Kellys Directory

1851 - 1852/Richard Wheatley/../../../ **

1851/Richard Wheatley/Victualler/46/Greenwich, Kent/Census
1851/Georgina Wheatley/Wife/41/Greenwich, Kent/Census
1851/Richard Wheatley/Son, Assistant/20/Greenwich, Kent/Census
1851/Matilda Wheatley/Daughter/17/Greenwich, Kent/Census
1851/Georgina Wheatley/Daughter/14/Greenwich, Kent/Census
1851/Catherine Wheatley/Daughter/9/Greenwich, Kent/Census
1851/Henry Wheatley/Son/5/Greenwich, Kent/Census
1851/James Job/Errand Boy/17/St Georges Southwark, Surrey/Census
1851/Mary Shea/General Servant/22/Ireland/Census

June 1852/Richard Wheatley/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

1852 - 1856/Charles Sampson/../../../ **

June 1852/Charles Simpson/Incoming Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

1856/William Vigor/../../../ **

1856/William Vigor/../../../Post Office Directory *

June 1856/William Vigor/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

In 1856, both lease and licence transferred to William Paget, previously licensee of Sir John Falstaff in Kent Street � but he was soon in difficulty. The school had to send in bailiffs to recover the ground rent; for 1858 only a half year was ever paid. That summer, the school�s London agent wrote;
�The houses have been condemned by the Police authorities under the Act, and have been taken down by Mr Paget. The public house (which he occupies) is shored up, and appears in a dangerous state. Mr Paget informs me he expects notice to pull down both the side walls in the Court at the back of the public house. He says he has already paid for the contract for pulling down the houses and shoring up his own home �34. And he informs me he has laid out �191 in general repairs. This property is in a deplorable condition, and something must be done about it without delay. It may be advisable to take down the public house also, considering the state in which it is.�
By September, Paget was imprisoned as a debtor at Horsemonger Lane Gaol. He had been selling Meux Brewery�s ales, but was also in debt to them, having mortgaged this now worthless property to them. Inevitably, the Fox also was demolished. It took some time before the school could secure possession of what was now a bare plot, but eventually William Humphries took a lease, and rebuilt the whole block. **

1856 - 1858/William Paget/../../../ **

June 1856/William Paget/Incoming Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

A rebuilt Fox opened under the same name in 1865, but licensed as a beer house rather than a public house. William Osmond Hayes, sometime shoemaker, gunmaker and bird-dealer, took on the licence in 1871, living here with family who all worked in the beer house. His son William Frederick Hayes married Jessie Odd, who had grown up on the same patch of land owned by the school: it is tempting to think these were childhood sweethearts. He later took on the Fox after his father�s death. **

1869/William Osman Hayes/Beer Retailer/../../Post Office Directory

Morning Advertiser 31 March 1871 - licence applications :
Fox, White street to William Osmond Hayes, Licence refused.

1881/William Osmond Hayes/Licensed Victualler/47/../Census
1881/Elizabeth Hayes/Wife/39/Boston, Lincoln/Census
1881/Elizabeth Hayes/Daughter/16/Chelsea/Census
1881/Ada Hayes/Daughter/14/Long Lane, Southwark/Census
1881/William Hayes/Son/12/Long Lane, Southwark/Census
1881/Florence Hayes/Daughter/4/Long Lane, Southwark/Census
1881/Edith Hayes/Daughter/3/Long Lane, Southwark/Census

1882/William Osmond Hayes/Beer Retailer/../../Post Office Directory

1891/William Frederick George Hayes/beer retailer/../../Post Office Directory *

1895/William F. G. Hayes/beer retailer/../../Post Office Directory *

1899/Matthew William Neal/beer retailer/../../Post Office Directory *

* Provided By Ewan

** Provided By David Elis-Williams

*** Provided By Simon Kennedy

  • UK Towns and Cities
  • London history
  • Accessible Travel etc
  • London Pub history
  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 18-Apr-2024 23:01:17 BST