Search over 60 thousand pages of pub history and London history by surname, street name or pub.

Shaftesbury Arms, 38 Shaftesbury Street, Shoreditch N1

Shoreditch index

Named as simply the Shaftesbury by the 1934 Directory *.

A listing of historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Shoreditch, East London.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Residents at this address

July 1848/John Morgan/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

July 1848/William Fencott/Incoming Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

1851/William Fencott/../../../Post Office Directory *

1856/William Fencott/../../../Post Office Directory

1869/Mrs Sarah Fencott/../../../Post Office Directory

11th May 1878/W Thompson/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

11th May 1878/Mary Ann Jennings/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

1881/Hy Maule/Publicans Manager/35/London, Middlesex/Census
1881/Mary Maule/Wife/33/London, Middlesex/Census
1881/Charles Ashwell/Barman/17/Grantham, Lincoln/Census
1881/Abraham Bowden/Barman/17/London, Middlesex/Census

1882/Walter Edward Davis/../../../Post Office Directory

1884/Walter E Davis/../../../Post Office Directory

1891/Uffelmann Bros/../../../Post Office Directory

1895/John Foster/../../../Post Office Directory

1899/Albert Rowe/../../../Post Office Directory

1910/George Frederick Robinson/../../../Post Office Directory

1915/Robert Moy/../../../Post Office Directory

The WWI military records of Frederick James Pullum (1888 - 1936), when he enlisted in October 1916, stated his previous occupation was Public House Manager (later licensed victualler and publican). His employer was H. Short and the address The Shaftesbury Arms, Shaftesbury Street, 1 New North Road, London N1. H. Short was the owner in 1921. The previous owner is Robery Moy in 1915. This would suggest that H. Short took over the pub in 1916.
The H of H. Short I believe is Henry, as Frederick Pullum married Maud Edith Short in 1913.
Maud's father was Henry Short and he was a publican (at a beer house) at The Prince Of Wales, 268 Hoxton Street, Hoxton from 1891 to at least 1911. You also have Redvers Clarence Short at the Shaftesbury Arms 1934, 1938 & 1944. This is Maud's younger brother. (Frederick Reovers/Redvers Pullum was the eldest son of Frederick and Maud); In 1933 Frederick and Maud were at The Duke of York, 24 Wenlock Street, Shoreditch. Frederick died in 1936 but Maud remained there until at least 1939. **

1921/H. Short/../../../Hughes Directory *

1934/Redvers Clarence Short/../../../Kellys Directory

1938/Redvers Clarence Short/../../../Post Office Directory *

1944/Redvers Clarence Short/../../../Post Office Directory *

+ Provided by Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park

* Provided By Ewan

** Provided By Nikki Brown


  • UK Towns and Cities
  • London history
  • Accessible Travel etc
  • London Pub history
  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 25-Jan-2024 10:08:21 GMT