You can search the historical London and Pub wiki sites by surname, street name, district etc.

Old Kings Head, 113 Oxford street, Marylebone

Marylebone index

The Old Kings Head, 113 Oxford street at the junction with Bolasover street, demolished circa 1819 to make way for the building of Regent Circus. The northern side of Oxford street is in Marylebone parish whilst the south side is in St James *

Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.

Residents at this address.

My family moved to London from Kent c. 1800 and kept about a dozen different pubs between then until 1876. *
The first one was John Lancefield, who was licencee of the Old King's Head in Oxford Street which was demolished c. 1819 to make way for the building of Regent Circus.

1801 : William White occupier, Gross est. rental £60, Rates for year £11 10s. - Rate Books *

John Lancefield was born in Crundale near Ashford Kent in 1770. In the late 1790's he was a coachman at Gunnersbury House near Ealing. When he left The Old King's Head he went to Lucas Place, south of Oxford Street, but it does not seem to have been a pub but may have been a wine merchant's shop. From 1819 until his death in 1832 he ran a wine merchant's business from 61 Newman Street off Oxford Street. He was buried at St. Mary's churchyard Ealing where his first wife and his father plus some children were also buried. His son, William Lancefield, is later at the Kings Head Hotel, High Street, Harrow *

1803 : John Lancefield, Gross est. rental £60, Rates £8 - Rate Books *

1805, John Lancefield, Old Kings Head, 113 Oxford street, Holdens directory

1810 : John Lancefield, Gross est. rental £73, Rates £9. 14s. 8d. - Rate Books *

1811, John Lancefield, Old Kings Head, 113 Oxford street, Holdens directory

1814 : John Lancefield, Gross est. rental £100, Rates £16 13s 4d. - Rate Books *

1815 : Richard Herring , Gross est. rental £100 *

1816 : Richard Herring , *

note : Commissioners for the New Road held nos. 112 & 114 in 1816*

1817 : Richard Herring , *

New occupier Commissioners for the New Road *

1819 : Commissioners for the New Road held nos. 111 – 116 Oxford Street *



* Provided By Rex Lancefield

  • UK Towns and Cities
  • London history
  • Accessible Travel etc
  • London Pub history
  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 25-Jan-2024 09:46:14 GMT