Search over 60 thousand pages of pub history and London history by surname, street name or pub.

Fleece, 1 Duke Street, Stamford Street, Lambeth SE1

Lambeth pub history index

In 1870 and earlier described as the Fleece, Commercial road. Fleece 1 Duke Street became Duchy Street, 19 October 1936:  ** The address is given as Narrow Wall in the Sun Fire Office insurance records, where it is sometimes also noted as "near the Old Barge House". Narrow Wall is an older name for the street running roughly where Commercial Road (now Upper Ground) later runs, which is the intersecting road with Duke Street (now Duchy Street), and the Old Barge House Wharf was just to the northeast of this location (in Southwark). *

A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in the Lambeth parish, Surrey, London. This includes Kennington, Brixton, Lambeth, Norwood, Peckham & Waterloo Road.

Residents at this address.

1790/John Ivey/victualler/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1790/Jonathan Weeden/victualler/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1791/Mr Welden/victualler/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1792/James Cooney/victualler/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1825/Hender Treverton, Fleece, Commercial road/../../Victuallers Recognizances

April 1827/Virgent/../../../Licensed Victuallers Asociation

1839/John Clarke/../../../Pigot's Directory *

September 1850/Thomas Moss/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

September 1850/Thomas George Beck/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

1856/Thomas Redding/../../../Post Office Directory *

December 1867 /John Place/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

December 1867 /James Ellis/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

June 1868/Joseph Ellis/Outgoing Licensee/../../South London Chronicle

June 1868/Samuel Nicholas Hawes/Incoming Licensee/../../South London Chronicle

1869/Sl N Hawes/../../../Post Office Directory

February 1870/Samuel Nicholas Hawes/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

February 1870/William Henry Dodwell/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

1881/Alfred Wordsworth/Licensed Victualler/26/Kent/Census
1881/Amelia Wordsworth/Wife/20/Bermondsey, Surrey/Census
1881/Lydia Wordsworth/Daughter/7/Penge, Surrey/Census
1881/Alfred Wordsworth/Son/1/Sydenham, Kent/Census
1881/William Whitlock/Brother In Law, Barman/20/Sydenham, Kent/Census
1881/Alice Smith/Cook/42/Sydenham, Kent/Census
1881/Fredk James/Potman/70/Horsleydown, Surrey/Census
1881/John W Brock/Visitor, Commercial Clerk/40/Stepney, Middlesex/Census

1882/Alfred Wordsworth/../../../Post Office Directory

1884/Alfred Wordsworth/../../../Post Office Directory

Prior to this, about 1881 he is at the Duke of Sussex and also Barnards Inn. By 1901, Richard is at the White Hart, Chalfont, Bucks  ***

1888/Richard Bullen/../../../Kellys Directory ***

1891/James Cox/../../../Post Office Directory

1895/Henry Muhs/../../../Post Office Directory

1899/James Street/../../../Post Office Directory

1910/Thomas Edward Sandels/../../../Post Office Directory *

1915/Frederick Thomas Slaughter/../../../Post Office Directory *

1921/Frederick T. Slaughter/../../../Hughes Directory *

* Provided By Ewan

** Provided By Bill Rigby

*** Provided By Carol Greaves

  • UK Towns and Cities
  • London history
  • Accessible Travel etc
  • London Pub history
  • © 2024 All rights reserved.
    And Last updated on: Thursday, 25-Jan-2024 09:44:40 GMT