You can search the historical London and Pub wiki sites by surname, street name, district etc.

Kings Arms, 19 Pritchards Road, Bethnal Green E2

Bethnal Green pub history index

Existed from at least 1839. The address is 10 Anns Place, Pritchards Road in the 1882 Directory and earlier, prior to street renumbering. It is named as the King's Head in the 1839 Directory, and in an 1828 Sun Fire Office insurance record. Closed in 1915 as a pub through the compensation award scheme. *

Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Residents at this address.

1839/James Webb/../../../Pigot's Directory *

1842/William Wise/../../../Robson’s Directory **

May 1848/Elizabeth Hookham/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

May 1848/George Lewin/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

1851/George Lewin /../../../Kelly’s Directory **

1851/George Lewin/Licensed Victualler/36/../Census
1851/Ann Lewin/Wife/37/../Census
1851/Elizabeth Lewin/Daughter/11/../Census
1851/Sarah Mott/Servant/26/../Census

November 1852/George Evans, administrator of George Evans/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

November 1852/William George Burn/Incoming Licensee/../../Era Newspaper

1856/W G Burn/../../../Post Office Directory

1856/William George Burn/../../../Post Office Directory

March 1862/Thomas Pratt Livermore/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

March 1862/William Bain/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

July 1863/William Burn/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

July 1863/Richard Billham/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

January 1866/Richard Billham/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

January 1866/Lancelot Hoskins/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

4th July 1868/William James Yardley/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

4th July 1868/John Blackwood Wilson/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

1869/John Wilson/../../../Post Office Directory

November 1868/John Blackwood Wilson/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

November 1868/Charles John Osborne/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

1869/John Wilson/../../../Post Office Directory

May 1871/Thomas Dodd/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer

May 1871/James Skillecorn/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer

1871/James Skillecorn/Licensed Victualler/23/Holborn, Middlesex/Census
1871/Susannah South/Mother in Law, Widow/53/Lambeth, Surrey/Census
1871/John Hoogood/Servant, Widow/54/Surrey/Census

1872/J Skillecorn /../../../Brabner’s Hackney Directory **

14th July 1874/Thomas Hulme/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

14th July 1874/William Horne/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

22nd January 1876/George Henry Sykes/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

22nd January 1876/William Lorricaux Harrison/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

1881/George W Fortescue/Licensed Victualler/37/Cambridge/Census
1881/Eliza Fortescue/Wife/35/Meopham, Kent/Census
1881/Caroline A Fortescue/Daughter/4/Bethnal Green, Middlesex/Census
1881/Sarah A Fortescue/Daughter/2/Bethnal Green, Middlesex/Census
1881/Edwin W Fortescue/Son/4 months/Bethnal Green, Middlesex/Census

1882/Robert Warner/../../../Post Office Directory

1884/Robert Warner/../../../Post Office Directory

1891/Jamas Bishop/../../../Post Office Directory

1891/James Bishop/Publican/59/Mile End, London/Census
1891/Louisa Bishop/Wife/57/Hesse Darmstead, Germany/Census
1891/Jessie/Domestic Servant/28/Bethnal Green, London/Census

15th August 1891/James Bishop/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

15th August 1891/Richard Gentry Patrick/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

1895/Richard George Patrick/../../../Post Office Directory

1899/Albert Edward Wheatley/../../../Post Office Directory

My great grandfather, Frederick John Cole, was shown living at this address in 1900. He was later the publican at the Percy Arms, Maxey Road, Plumstead by the 1901 census, and then the Duke of Sussex in Oakley Road, Lambeth by 1906. *+

1901/Henry J Smith/Licensed Victualler/52/Shoreditch, London/Census
1901/Rose J Cooper/Manageress/31/St Georges East, London/Census
1901/Florry Smith/Daughter/13/Hoxton, London/Census
1901/Henry R Smith/Son/2/Hackney, London/Census
1901/Victor J Smith/Son/5 months/Bethnal Green, London/Census

November 1904/Transfer of licence of the Kings Arms, Pritchards road, Lewis Isaacs to Clement Husk/../../East London Observer

1910/George Henry Haslewood/../../../Post Office Directory

1911/Charles T Orme/Publican/32/Bethnal Green, London/Census
1911/Margaret Orme/Wife/27/Bethnal Green, London/Census
1911/Valentine Orme/Son/2/Bethnal Green, London/Census
1911/William Orme/Brother, Barman/27/Bethnal Green, London/Census

1915/Ernest John Piper/../../../Post Office Directory

London Evening Standard 03 June 1914
Licensing Act 1904 Notice of principal meeting to discuss by the Compensation authority on 1st July 1914
Tower
Kings Arms, Pritchards road, Bethnal Green, Full, Ernest John Piper

Westminster Gazette 14 July 1915
Compensation Authority for the County of London under the Licensing Consolidation Act 1910. The recipients of the money were the freeholders, leaseholders, and tenants of twenty seven licensed premises in the Metropolis, which are to be closed at the end of July as redundant. The awards totalled £59,651.
Kings Arms, Pritchard road, Bethnal Green, £826


+ Provided by Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park

* Provided by Ewan

*+ Provided By Lesley

** Provided By Stephen Harris

  • UK Towns and Cities
  • London history
  • Accessible Travel etc
  • London Pub history
  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 25-Jan-2024 09:32:38 GMT