Search over 60 thousand pages of pub history and London history by surname, street name or pub.

Claremont Arms, 32 Upper Grange Road, Bermondsey SE1

Bermondsey pub history index

at 32 Dunton Road by 1938. Closed in 2012, demolished and replaced with flats. *

Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.

Claremont, 32 Dunton Road, SE1 - in July 2007

Claremont, 32 Dunton Road, SE1 - in July 2007

Kindly provided by Stephen Harris

Residents at this address

Morning Advertiser 31 March 1871 - licence applications :
Claremont Arms, Upper Grange road, to William Jones who was opposed by four victuallers, Licence refused.

1871/William Jones/Beer Retailer/31/Walworth Surrey/Census ***
1871/Isabella Jones/Wife/31/Hertford/Census
1871/Sidney Jones/Stepson Scholar/9/Maidstone Kent/Census
1871/Charles F Jones/Son/5/Bermondsey Surrey/Census

South London Press 27 March 1875 - Licenses for the consumption of liquors on the premises were grantrd:
William Jones, victuallers license for the Claremont Arms, 32 Upper Grange road

1881/William Jones/Licensed Victualler/41/Walworth, Surrey/Census
1881/Isabella W Jones/Wife/41/Hertford/Census
1881/Sidney W W Jones/Son, Barman/19/Maidstone, Kent/Census
1881/Charles F Jones/Son/15/Bermondsey, Surrey/Census

1882/William Jones/../../../Post Office Directory

1884/William Jones/../../../Post Office Directory

1891/Solomon Benjamin/../../../Post Office Directory

1891/Albert S Field/Publican/57/Walworth London/Census ***
1891/Sarah A Field/Wife/45/Southwark London/Census
1891/Maria A Frost/Servant Barmaid/28/Southwark London/Census
1891/Clara Cox/General Servant/22/Plumstead Kent/Census
1891/William A Jones/Servant Barman/Islington London/Census

1895/William Thomas Dawson/../../../Post Office Directory

1899/Albert Frederick William Chinnery/../../../Post Office Directory

Mr Harry Weeks, tenant at the Magdala, Lordship Lane, East Dulwich for a number of years has decided to retire from business. He has a long and honourable record in Truman's trade.
Beginning in 1890, he acted as potman and barman at the Dun Cow, in Old Kent Road, until 1895. This was then a free house selling Truman's beers and was later purchased by the company. Following another period as a barman at the Princess of Wales, London Road, Southwark, Mr Weeks became manager and licensee of the Brunswick Tavern in the Old Kent Road. He resided there from 1900 until 1907.
After a break of three years, Mr Weeks became the tenant of the Claremont in Bermondsey, until 1922, when he was accepted as the tenant of the Magdala.
Mr Weeks name was mentioned on the annual renewal day at the Newington Bench as one of four who had either completed or were just completing 50 years as a licensee under the Bench of Magistrates. (1949) ***

1914/Harry Weeks/../../../Post Office Directory

1910-1922/Harry Weeks/../../../Black Eagle Journal ***

1923/George Weeks/Claremont/../../Electoral Register
1923/Bessie Gertrude Weeks/../../../Electoral Register

1934/George Weeks/../../../Kellys Directory

1938/Jn Ledger/../../../Post Office Directory

1944/J Leahy & Jas McLaughlan/../../../Post Office Directory

* Provided By Tris

** Provided by Alex Wilkinson

*** Provided By Bev Howlett

  • UK Towns and Cities
  • London history
  • Accessible Travel etc
  • London Pub history
  • And Last updated on: Thursday, 25-Jan-2024 09:31:44 GMT