London history over 2000 years
Medal & Mortality index
The Military Cross was instituted as a Decoration on December 28th, 1914, to
reward Distinguished Services rendered by Officers of certain ranks in the army
in time of war. Bars may be added for additional acts of gallantry. Since August
1st, 1918, it has, like the D.S.O., been awarded for "services in action" only.
YUILL, Lieut. Harry Hogg ... ... ... 170th Mining Coy., R.E.
For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on several occasions :
CUINCHY, 29th May, 1915. When one of the leads to a charge in a mine broke close to the charge, he at once untamped the top of the charge and crawled into the mine to find and mend the break, although the Germans were working so close he could hear them talking.
CAMBRIN, 24th and 29th June. At great personal risk, he charged mines, well knowing the Germans to be charging against him, and managed to fire his charges before they succeeded in doing so.
CUINCHY, on the night of 21/22 August. Again 2/Lieutenant Yuill exhibited great skill and bravery in directing mining operations. The enemy were working within a few feet of our galleries, opposite No. 5 and 7 mines, and it became a race which mines would be first exploded. The situation was critical, but owing to his splendid example and energy two shafts were sunk in time, charged and tamped. The resulting explosions must have blown in the German galleries and the miners in them.
The Distinguished Service Order was instituted by Queen Victoria, September 6th, 1886. May be conferred on Commissioned Officers who have been specially mentioned in despatches for meritorious or distinguished service in the field or before the enemy. Bars may be added for additional acts of gallantry. Since August 1st, 1918, this Order has been awarded in respect of active service for "services in action " only, i.e., for service under fire or for distinguished individual service in connection with air-raids, bombardments or other enemy action.
YUILL, Capt. Harry Hogg, M.C. .................. R.E.
Awarded 3rd June, 1917. [3393
London pub history directory.